Heart question....

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Heart question....

Postby Pinks » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:27 pm

If one chooses not to go the hormone route...what would you take for heart protection?
Pinks
Warm Pauzer

Postby Pinks » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:40 pm

also...do you see any heath benifits in Green tea to those going through the "change"?
Pinks
Warm Pauzer

Postby cin-d-rella » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Hi Pinks,

This isn't really about the heart protection, but I read that 1 tsp. of cinnamon per day is supposed to be very good for stabilizing your blood sugar......so maybe if you look up foods, there will be something there regarding heart-health foods. Seems the info changes so much...

I am on hormones and still having LOTS of symptoms........I can't imagine it without them, but I understand the about them dilemma too.

Anyway, just wrote to say "HI" and maybe help a bit ??!! :wink:

Cin-d-rella.
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby Pinks » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:36 pm

thanks for your reply....and the info....i'll check into that...hey,it could'nt hurt!
Pinks
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:00 am

Hormones or no, we all need to consider heart protection. The best protection? Exercise, healthy diet, normal weight.

There are a lot of things to consider with respect to further protection beyond a healthy lifestyle. Most particular is your personal risk for heart disease based on your family history and personal health history. The top five risk factors for heart disease are:

1. Age over 55 (45 for men).
2. A history of early heart disease in a first degree relative (parent, sibling, or child) defined as younger than 55 in male relatives and 65 in female relatives.
3. Cigarette use
4. High blood pressure, even if it's treated.
5. Diabetes

Other risk factors include abnormal fasting blood sugars short of diabetes (between 100 and 125), obesity, metabolic syndrome (which includes low HDL cholesterol, elevated triglycerides, central obesity--waistline greater than 35 inches for women or 45 inches for men, blood pressure at or greater than 135/85, fasting blood sugar greater than 110).

I am fortunate to not yet have any risk factors for heart disease, but choose to take omega-3 fatty acids daily (1000 mg. twice daily), and a multi-vitamin that includes 400 mcg. of folate. People at intermediate risk should consider a daily aspirin--the downside there is that it can cause stomach bleeding.

Green tea benefits everyone, change or no. Good for heart, good for immune system, good for blood pressure, good cancer prevention.

Hope this helps. It's an analysis that I undertake with my patients at every annual exam.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby cin-d-rella » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:14 pm

Thanks Dr. Judy,

I appreciate the way you have summed it up so nicely. I, unfortunatley DO have some of the risk factors....the Metabolic Syndrome (PCOD), and treated b/p. It just hammers it home again, that this is an EXTREMELY important health issue....esp. for people like me. Thanks again. Cin-d-rella. (CINDY).
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby Pinks » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks Doctor Judy...in my case i'm adopted so don't have a family history to go on(i'm 54).So i've always tried to do what i can to stay healthy.Was a runner for a long time...then went to walking....a couple of years ago i started having problems with arthritis in my thumbs...and now have a bit of it in my feet.I went veggie a few years ago...and got an elliptical machine,which i use everyday for 45 minutes...and use bands and weights.My main prob is the arthritis...but i'm working on getting my doc to do some things we have'nt tried yet....I'm looking into accupuntcture,via some friends who have been through it.Easing the joint pain is my main goal now....but then the hot flashes and bits of nausea started...and i started missing periods...so am now really getting into studing up on that,with the help of friends who've been through it...or are going through it now.
I really don't like the idea of the hormone stuff..so hoping to find ways to deal with this new part of my life in other ways.
Pinks
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause