Stopped smoking!

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Stopped smoking!

Postby Zero » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:35 am

It's only been 11 days, but after smoking for 43 years, 11 days is a great start!! I thought I posted that I was quitting somewhere on this forum, but for the life of me I can't remember where I put it! :)

Anyway, I'm starting to feel (and smell) like a non-smoker!
Zero

Postby pamibe » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:57 am

I'm soooo happy for you, Dee!!!! Congratulations!! :D

pam
pamibe

Postby Zero » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:08 am

Thanks, Pam! I'll surely be resembling Minnie Pauz very soon with all the munching I'm doing to keep myself occupied! Lots of sugar free candy, of course, but lots of regular food too! :) I'm trying to keep it to vegetables and fruits.....grapes, eating lots of grapes! The greatest success would be if I could LOSE weight while quitting!
Zero

Postby pamibe » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:25 am

But that's great, because grapes are so good for you! :D

My husband has tried to quit so many times, I know how hard this is; you're doing so well!!!

pam
pamibe

Postby Zero » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:19 am

Yes, it's very hard to really feel the consequences of smoking as a threat. I've forced myself to imagine if I was on oxygen and my kids had to take care of me, plus I make myself look at pictures of healthy lungs compared to smokers' lungs..... I just had to quit fooling myself by saying "it can't happen to me (cancer)" or "I really LIKE smoking". Bullcrap...... If I really liked the taste, the smell and the expense of it, why was I wanting to quit? :) Anyway, everyone has their own point of reality and I guess I hit mine. Here's the pictures I look at when I can't imagine what my lungs must look like:
http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/lc_1 ... _main.htm#
Zero

Postby pamibe » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:03 pm

OHMYGOSH! Those are so nasty!! Need to forward this to my hubby... ;)

pam
pamibe

Postby colopam » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:28 pm

Congratulations!!!! Keep up the good work and do something nice for yourself like a massage or a day out!!! Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby SofiaSofia » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:44 pm

Congrats, Dee!! :D That is a major accomplishment! I have friends who have tried time and time again with no success. One got desperate and went to a hypnotist - somehow that worked and she's been a non-smoker for almost 2 years now.

Another friend of mine is on her first 7 days cigarette free. She's overweight and worried about gaining more. Her doc told her that studies prove the smoking is a worse threat to her health more than putting on a few more pounds. So, she's concentrating on the smoking for now and will deal with the weight later - one thing at a time. :)

Sofia
SofiaSofia
Warm Pauzer

Postby CathyW » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:13 pm

Way to go Dee!!!! I would love to quit. Haven't been successful at all. How are you doing it? Did you just stop cold turkey? Help! Suggestions Please!
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:13 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Everyone!

Sofia, my next step was going to be a hypnotist and I still may do that to make sure I don't slip back into smoking AND to control the weight issue. What your friend's doctor said is what I've been telling myself and my sister, who has also promised to stop smoking before April 1 because I'm going to visit her on April 3.

CathyW....I'm doing really well. Right now I'm 13 days smoke-free! Wow, I didn't even realize that's 2 weeks! I've only been counting the days. :) I'll tell you what prompted me to quit TALKING about it and just do it. I came down with ANOTHER bout of bronchitis, which was about the 3rd time this winter and the coughing was so bad I couldn't sleep laying down, couldn't take a full breath without coughing, wheezing, plus I coughed so hard I pulled a muscle and that made the cough hurt twice as bad. So there I was feeling like crap, coughing and trying to smoke a damn cigarette, when I realized "this is what it would be like if I was diagnosed with emphysema". I could literally see the reality of what I was doing to myself and imagined my kids having to take care of me, my grandkids seeing me with an oxygen tank, the whole ball of wax!

That's when I felt really foolish for not quitting. I thought, "what if this bout of bronchitis doesn't go away?" and that scared me. I had some of those Commit Lozenges on hand so at that moment I put one of those in my mouth instead of lighting a cigarette. It did help because I immediately got a dose of nicotine, but didn't have the smoke or the tar and carbon monoxide in my lungs. After a few days I decided I didn't even want the nicotine in my body, so I've been doing it cold turkey since then.

I use all the visual tools I can find online (like the link above) and I've told everyone that I've quit. Some are a bit sceptical because I quit one time before for 3 mo., but I just have to believe I'm quitting forever this time! Support groups, hypnotism, picturing yourself in a hospital bed...whatever it takes to stop, do it!! We cannot justify smoking any longer.....it doesn't make any sense. I'm also using sugar free candy and veggies and grapes to keep my tastebuds awake and my hands busy. :)

I'll probably have to include a stop smoking page on my site like I did with the losing weight issue http://www.minniepauz.com/lowcarbeating.html

Everyone has something that will get to them eventually, I guess. I wanted to quit before I was diagnosed with something incurable. I hope you can encourage your friends and families to quit also. Here's some additional help:
http://www.quitnet.com/?redir=http://ww ... it+smoking
Zero

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:01 pm

:D Wicked! Dee, you are my hero! You don't just have a great website helping untold numbers of women the hell all over, you decided to quit- after *43* years! That's incredible. Man, as an ex-smoker I am SO there with you! Dudette, this worked for me (I'd smoked like 12 years & quit in 1989)- never light another. I, too had one failed try & lasted a few months.

One day at a time- each 24 hours worked for me. Eventually, I got to the point where I'd stop and ask myself, "What are the chances I'll smoke today?" and it was always "No way. I don't foresee it."

You may have some buried feelings come up, emotions, etc. I had a lot of anger, to say the least. But after quitting smoking, I never cried when I got angry again; I just got angry! The weight evened out. I had way more time, money, energy. Quitting smoking is great in that it's not like one has to go out & DO some horrendous thing now. You simply don't light another- so in that sense, it takes no energy. It was a great time in my life. You may be surprised how fast your lungs seem to bounce back, too. --remember to drink a lot of water.

:D yaa!

sfogrrl

Postby DebK1963 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey Dee,
Congratulations on stopping smoking :D ! I quit nearly 2 years ago & can't see myself smoking ever again. I don't know that I really FEEL any different, but I sure know I SMELL alot different. I actually went to my DR to ask for help. I used Zyban for 2 weeks, until I had an allergic reaction. So, what to do at that point?! I decided "I'm a big girl. Either I'm gonna smoke or I'm not. Am I gonna let a piece of paper with some tobacco rolled up inside rule my life?" Hell, I wouldn't EVER think of letting a MAN rule my life, why was I letting cigarettes rule me??? So, I was still smoking & couldn't take the Zyban anymore. I had like 6 cigs left in my pack. I decided that after those were gone I wasn't gonna buy another pack. And I haven't. Oh sure, there have been plenty of times where I THOUGHT smoking would help me feel better because of some drama going on in my life. But, I never gave in. Makes me feel better about myself! Chin up, you don't need those nasty cigarettes! Good luck!
Deb
DebK1963
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:42 pm

Thanks for the encouragement....I'm on day 29 and it really has gotten easier! Interesting about the anger thing, Deb.....I'll have to see if that happens to me. I know I've gotten irritable, but not sure about real anger...although I really would love to get some of it out. :)

I'm moving this thread to a new section I started today because I want to keep talking about this and supporting others who want to quit.
Zero

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Well ya know Dee, I've had folks tell me that quitting smoking is like quitting drinking (going to AA). DON'T think of the BIG picture (i.e., I'm never gonna smoke another cigarette ever again), you have to think of NOW...one day at a time. "Today I'm not going to smoke a cigarette" and so on. I've had many a failed quit attempt in my past. I quit once for 6 months & fell right back into it. Now seems different. Couldn't tell you how, it just does. I guess I don't want to smoke is what it REALLY comes down to. And I never quit doing the things that I did when I smoked (like coffee in the morning or cocktails with friends) for fear that if I did I would mentally associate one with the other (if I'm having a cup of coffee then I must need to be smoking, etc...) Anyway, it's worked for me and I hope others will be able to do the same. I know it's hard. I'm 42 & smoked for 25 years before I finally quit. I always tell people "If I can quit, anyone can quit!" :D

CONGRATS!

Postby PATRICIA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:36 am

Its a tough row to hoe but I know you can do it! I quit cold turkey three years ago and found a bottle of water was my best friend. Just wait until your nasal passages start to clear up and you start to smell the smoke on other people. You will start to think, "omigod! did I stink like that"! That alone (and the growing price)was enough incentive for me to stay off them.

I'm cheering for you!
PATRICIA

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Can you quit?