This made me feel great!

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

This made me feel great!

Postby Guest » Thu May 26, 2005 8:00 am

You know, I'm spending less and less time thinking about smoking. It's been almost 3 mo. and I haven't cheated! When my son brought my grandkids over last weekend, he said, "it really smells nice in here, MOM". That truly made me very happy to hear that! (they had never said anything about the way it smelled before)

Postby colopam » Thu May 26, 2005 9:39 am

Dee
I'm so happy and proud of your accomplishment. Quitting is one of the toughest things to do.
So what are your plans for the money (and health) you're saving HMMMMM????

Hugs pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Today is 4 MONTHS!!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:53 am

It's still a struggle some days but I haven't cheated once (even though I still have cigarettes in the house). My main problem now is I'm putting on so much weight because I've always got to have something to chew on! I know, I know....I'm doing the sugar free candies and they've helped tremendously, but every 10 min. I've got to find something to munch on and it's getting out of control.

Today I'm trying to find that spot in my brain that I found when I started a low carb lifestyle 3 years (?) ago. I was able to lose 55 lbs and felt absolutely terrific! I quit taking naps during the day and had so much more energy from not eating sugar, potatoes and bread. I don't want to go totally on Atkins again, even though I loved it and didn't miss anything, but where I have my problem is having to FIX my food instead of just grabbing something. You know...FIX a salad, FIX tuna fish, PREPARE everything. Of course if I just grab a piece of fruit or some cut up celery, that's easy enough. You can see my low carb page here: http://www.minniepauz.com/lowcarbeating.html

I WILL master this problem and I WILL lose weight again!! I'm tired of looking like a blimp again!! Guess I should take this over to the weight section, huh? I think I'll copy it over there too!

Congrats to me for 4 months of non-smoking!!! :lol:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Congrats for quitting for 4 months!

Postby DayDreamer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:03 am

A big pat on the back Dee for quitting those coffin nails :lol:

I know what places you've been and where you're at now because I quit three and a half months ago. I did quit once before (22 years ago after smoking for 24 years.) I managed to quit (after some false starts) going "cold turkey" at the time, (hell) :twisted: but managed to stay off the little blighters for 7 years. However, I learned a very bitter lesson when my first marriage broke up. I "hood winked" myself into thinking that I needed just one or two cigarettes to get me through the misery I was in at the time and BAM I was back on 20 a day for the next FIFTEEN YEARS :shock:

I have realised that I have to take the same tatics as an alcoholic "Once a smoker ALWAYS a smoker" To be able to say I've quit, I know I can't fall off the wagon, not even ONCE otherwise I'll be smoking again :!: :!:

The problem with me is I enjoyed smoking. I enjoyed being in that (I know ever diminishing) little social club. Just ask a smoker all the latest gossip (because he/she picked up all the latest during break times at work) :!:

SIGH...... However, Health, Wealth( or lack of) and down right common sense and responsibilities is now the future (or face the consequences) and is the better place to be........ Then why do I still lament :(

Ah well. Enough of my ramblings. I'll just pat myself on the back, and feel happy that once again I'm not on my own with these struggles :D

Love and understanding to all quitters :!: :!:
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:53 am

oh Daydreamer!! That's very discouraging to think that you quit for so long and then started smoking again!! My sister did the same thing and I'm very concerned that somehow I will lose my common sense and find a reason why I need to smoke again. I guess if I just keep telling myself not to try even ONE cig EVER again, that will keep me from falling off the wagon
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby DayDreamer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:29 pm

I didn't mean it to sound SO discouraging. Especially for those who are desperate to give up smoking. :oops:

Perhaps I have a weak will :?: But by the same token, I felt it necessary to relate my experiences; more perhaps as a warning that it CAN happen. Even after such a long time.

I suppose if we think about it, we are addicted to nicotine, just like an alcoholic is addicted to alcohol.....so therefore logically the potential for that addictive streak will still be there. That is why will power is so important.

On a much lighter note. I don't think about having a smoke now, just only when I've finished a job and it's a good job done, I fleetingly want to reward myself with a cigarette, but it soon passes :)
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Can you quit?