Quit Tips

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Quit Tips

Postby Zero » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:26 am

These tips are sent to me by http://www.quitnet.com and I thought they might be helpful to anyone here trying to quit. :) Today is 50 days for me!!

H.A.L.T.

Remember the acronym: H.A.L.T. When you allow yourself to become too HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY and/or TIRED, odds are that the urge to smoke will appear and/or increase. If you're experiencing a sudden craving for a cigarette, ask yourself if you're HUNGRY. If you are, eat something other than cigarette smoke. ANGRY or LONELY? Call someone and vent, or talk to a coworker or your partner. If TIRED, never underestimate the therapeutic value of a nap or a good night's sleep. You're now learning how to live a smoke-free life.
Zero

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:53 pm

Here is something quitters might like...
http://www.silkquit.org/meter.html

This is a free software download that will keep a running tally of how long you've been tobacco-free, how much money you've saved, and how much lifetime you've saved. It can keep a running 'ticker' at the bottom of your computer screen if you wish.

Also, you can paste your info into anything you type with just a couple of keystrokes.

Quitting on March 1st (using 1.5 packs a day) gets you these stats:

One month, three weeks, three days, 5 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds. 1657 cigarettes not smoked, saving $331.47. Life saved: 5 days, 18 hours, 5 minutes.

Postby Zero » Tue May 10, 2005 6:19 am

Always Have An Escape Plan

If you've been accustomed to smoking during family gatherings, or at social events, it'll be helpful to have a strategy for coping with cigarette temptation during such functions. Instead of a cigarette, you can hold onto a pen, key-chain or even a small puzzle. You might discuss an 'escape plan' which allows you to leave if you find things getting a bit rough. Always keep in your thoughts a clear statement about why you quit smoking and how much it means to you to stay quit under any circumstances. Try repeating, "I don't smoke no matter what; no matter I what, I don't smoke" over and over, for instance. Say to yourself anything that will help you hold onto your determination to quit. Keep a list of reasons why you've quit, or benefits you've already noticed since your quit, handy in your wallet or purse. Take along some phone numbers of friends or ex-smokers who have agreed to take your emergency call, in the event you think you may waver in your quit.
Zero

tuff quitting

Postby berykute » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:22 pm

Well, on top of all the hot flahes,insomnia, crankiness, headaches and my only child getting married, the doc said I have to quit smoking.
(big sigh) I just feel like this is going to be so difficult. One more change in a sea of changes. Any suggestions on how to do this as painless as possible? I have been smoking so long that I feel like it is simply a part of me. But then, I do not feel much like me lately anyway.
berykute
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:30 am

Just keep telling yourself that you are going to be healthier, you're going to smell better and you're going to save a whole lot of money!! That's much more truthful than telling yourself that you really LIKE smoking, that if you've smoked this long without getting cancer, you probably won't get it and that the addiction to smoking is harder to quit than cocaine. All of that last part is a lie.

I smoked for 43 years and I told myself all those lies. For some reason I decided to start telling myself the truth and I realized that it's mind over matter. It really doesn't "hurt" to quit....certainly not like it HURTS to have cancer or emphysema!! Please try....we'll be here to help you! Read all the posts here over and over, especially the links I've given you!

I'm almost 7 mo. without a cigarette!! My grandkids keep thanking me for quitting! They said they couldn't breathe when they would come over (and I didn't smoke in my house!!) and that I was "stinky". How's that for reality? They wouldn't say it before. This is what all the people around you are thinking.....so please make the effort to quit. I will give you my home number if you really want some encouragement. Let me know, ok?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Liette » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:20 pm

I will come here more often to gather up the courage to quit and stay a quitter.
Liette
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:50 am

Good for you Liette!! When I was 3 or 4 days into quitting, I couldn't imagine being where I am now....2 years without a cigarette! And I'm still so happy I quit! :) Hang in there and be sure to use everything and anyone to help you stay strong! Here's a great site: http://www.whyquit.com
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:08 am

Bery
Good Luck on quitting!!! You always have a place to vent here if you need.

Second Congrats on your youngun gettin married!!! What a wonderful reason to quit! To be around to see their realtionship grow and to be there for them. You get the chance to be a wonderful MIL!!!

third you can either hide the symptoms of quitting under the guise of meno OR hide the meno symptoms under the guise of quitting!!! MAYBE quitting will help some of the signs of meno!!!

You keep that wonderful sense of humor humming girl!! We care and wish you the best!!

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:26 am

Hey Pam.....that post by Bery was in 2005! hahahahaha Time flies when you're in meno, doesn't it? :) :lol:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 am

((((Nevermind))))))
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Can you quit?