Panic Attacks

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Do you suffer with anxiety attacks?

Yes
65%
No
8%
Sometimes
27%

Total votes : 238

Panic Attacks

Postby Zero » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:46 pm

Panic attacks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After Menopause, Panic Attacks Seem to Ease With Age

Hormone therapy doesn't make a difference either, researchers add

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 24 (HealthDayNews) -- Panic attacks appear to strike younger postmenopausal women more than older women, says a new study.

However, whether a woman uses hormone therapy does not seem to affect whether she has panic attacks, the study adds.

Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston surveyed 3,369 women, aged 50 to 79, enrolled in the Women's Health Initiative study. Nearly 18 percent of them reported some form of panic attack in the previous six months. The researchers defined a panic attack as "sudden fear, anxiety or extreme discomfort." http://drkoop.com/template.asp?page=newsdetail&ap=93&id=515214

Information on anxiety disorders
http://www.adaa.org/AnxietyDisorderInfor/PanicDisAgor.cfm
Zero

anxiety and menopause

Postby drjudy » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:34 am

"Why does the brain naturally have sex hormone receptors if they are not necessary?"
R.Greene, M.D.
University of California-Davis, Medical School

I agree with Dr. Greene and Dr. Steven Stahl that estrogen has a profound influence on brain function and mood control. Dr. Stahl is an authority on neurotransmitters (such as serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine) that are the chemical messengers of mood, and he feels that estrogen is an important element in the treatment of depression in some women (look at the mood swings of puberty and the profound depression that can come after giving birth, a time when estrogen levels plummet). He has written several articles on using estrogen to boost the effects of anti-depressants.

I personally feel that the anxiety that is creeping into my thought processes lately has a lot to do with my estrogen loss. I find myself fretting over outings (will it snow, will I find a parking place, will I get there on time) in ways that scream "anxious old lady" to me and are most unlike my usual mellow self. A little estrogen seems to improve the outlook greatly.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby purple haze » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:51 pm

Know just how you feel Dr. Judy. I've been known to have anxiety attacks just sitting here at the keyboard. Edlyn
purple is my color,
a hippie mama to a hippie mama
granny nanny to 4
purple haze
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:11 am

I also believe HUMOR is a great way to deal with anxiety and panic attacks! That's why women should carry at least one Minnie Pauz item with them at all times!! hahahah.... hmmmm...maybe I'll have to create something that would be appropriate, like a keychain or something? Any ideas, Ladies?

I'm still thinking about a bumper sticker that says, "I'm Hotter than I Look"
Zero

Postby Yvonne » Mon May 31, 2004 1:06 am

Panic attacks are something I seem to be experiencing with Memopause. Until Dr Judy mentioned them in a post I was unaware that these lil' pesky things were a part of MP, although I did think about it for a nano second. Mine seem to have decreased since I started taking HRT, or maybe it's just coincidence???

Anyone want to take the ball and run with it on this one???

hugzzzzz to all Yvonne
Yvonne
Warm Pauzer

Postby Yvonne » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:02 am

umm I can't seem to find the poll for Panic Attacks. Maybe I"m looking in the wronge place. Minnie can yu help???

Thanks Yvonne
Yvonne
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:27 am

Hey, Yvonne! When I opened this thread, the poll was at the top (actually, the results of the poll) I think once you've taken the poll, all you see are the ongoing results....guess we're only allowed to answer it once or something. It's a part of this message board I haven't quite figured out! If you don't see it, I'm not sure what to tell you....sorry. Here's the results so far:

Do you suffer with anxiety attacks?
Yes
54% [ 20 ]
No
18% [ 7 ]
Sometimes
27% [ 10 ]

Total Votes : 37
Zero

Postby Sandykins » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:40 am

The only time I ever had panic attacks was when I was 29-30 years old. My first husband had just left me and I was faced with raising 2 toddlers alone. I'd maybe had 10, at the most. They stopped within a year. I'm so glad that they have not reoccurred with the onset of perimenopause.
If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Theresa
Sandykins
One HOT Woman!

Postby freda » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:24 pm

I have anxiety attacks sometimes at night. Creepy things that convince me I'm going to die right on the spot. What a change. I used to embrace all the emotions I had but one of death doesn't really suit my fancy in the range of diversity.

I usually just try to breathe deeply. Not that it helps much. But at some point I'm pretty sure I just pass out.

You know, I think I'm going to write a book on this topic. It will read something like this:

Chapter One:

Change in personality and/or mood swings and irrational behavior.

"Don't you be lookin' at me." and "[insert head wag] speak to the gun baby."

Chapter Two:

Bloating:

"Between the heat and size I now earn extra money renting myself out for romantic evenings floating over major cities."

Chapter Three:

Heat flashes:

"Spontaneous combusion from the outside in."
freda

Anxiety

Postby Linnie » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:23 pm

Hi all,
Just read some of the posts about Panic attacks. I have had them in my twenties and do have an anxiety disorder that flares up during stressful times or right after a huge stress in my life. Now I am in menopause, age 51, and seem to have a kind of constant anxiety and foreboding feeling. The physical discomfort of tightness in my chest, clenching teeth during sleep, churning tummy and palpitations make me feel I am wearing my body out and then I worry about how unhealthy this anxiety is!! It becomes heightened with any new venture - even good things, like taking a drive, buying a home, vacations, etc. I will think of the worst. I do not take anything for menopause and am thinking of getting some natural progesterone and estriol from a qualified doctor. (Can't take HRT due to cystic breasts.) I take a little xanax when I am really bad and it does help but this exaggerated response to things seems to be realted to my hormones...I hope!!!! Just venting. Feeling weepy and lots of hot flashes too, a bit of insomnia. I can take all those symptoms but the anxiety is really scary to me. Very discouraging. Thanks for listening. -Lin
Linnie
Hot Pauzer

Postby Pickle » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:54 am

Linnie,
I'm new here. I just read your post about the anxiety & since it was done back in July, didn't know if I should add a post but here goes... I know exactly how you feel! (seems like I've been saying that a lot when I read these posts : ) I have suffered from anxiety for about 6 years. (I was told it originally started as a "post traumatic stress disorder") I take 50mg of Zoloft in the morning & 10mg Elivil at night. Well, since my perimenopause has started, my anxiety has become much worse. The panic attacks that seem to come for no reason. I also agree that the anxiety that comes with "happy" things is just terrible! Last night, we took my parents for a surprise 50th anniversary celebration. I was anxious during the weeks of planning & when the night came, I just couldn't enjoy it! I was so anxious, I had a panic attack in the car. My tight muscles caused me to have a pain in my chest, which caused me to become lightheaded & dizzy (my panic attack). Becauses I was lightheaded & dizzy after a pain in my chest, I thought it was a heart attack! Well this all caused a major hot flash that left me sick to my stomach & unable to enjoy my dinner (or my parents special night) I tried to hide it the best I could. My husband knew what was going on & he was very supportive. Yesterday I bought Estroven at my gyno's suggestion. I'll start it today & see if it helps with any of my symptoms. I also do yoga, exercise regularly & eat well. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I didn't do all this!
Pickle
Warm Pauzer

Postby MariaEl » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:50 pm

I am also suffering from panic attacks (mild and occassional) and more anxiety (uncomfortable but tolerable). My doctor and I are currently working with drugs zoloft and Xanax - I am four weeks into it and my anxiety has increased some and I can't sleep but hopefully this will all improve. We upped the Zoloft to 100 MG and I take 1MG XR which I will begin to drop next week. What do you think Dr. Judy? How hard will it be to get off the Xanax. What I wanted to say to the last person was to try to remember that panic attacks and anxiety won't hurt or kill you. Try to live with it until under control. Hope this helps. Easier said than done sometimes. I thought mine might be mental but I've tried exercises, tapes and yoga and tea and they only help for a short time. More distraction, I guess. Good luck. Keep in touch. It helps to have others to compare notes.
MariaEl
Combustible

chronic anxiety

Postby tonita » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:28 am

I have what appears to be chronic anxiety, or free floating anxiety. 20 years ago I suffered horribly from postpartum depression. Now, in the past week I am revisiting this horrific time in my life. My stomach is constantly knotted to the point that I don't want to eat, which makes my anxiety higher since then I think maybe I have this giant tumor in my stomach. I am edgy, can't sleep well and weepy all the time. I don't feel like getting out of bed, showering, etc. Really stinks since I still have young children. This all began a few weeks ago when I got my period early and it just didn't go away. My gyn. put me on low dose birthcontrol to stop the bleeding (which it did), zoloft, now 50mg and my primary gave me ativan. I am a mess. I'll be 45 this year.
tonita
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:11 pm

It really sounds like you're having a tough time, Tonita! I hope the new combination of treatment your doctor has given you will help! Hang in there and keep your chin up, ok? I personally know how hard it is to manage the depression and anxiety, so I want you to know you are doing great to keep trying and to continue reaching out for help when you need it. I do hope we can support you in your efforts by understanding and cheering you on. That's what we're here for!

Have you already posted to Dr. Judy? She's very encouraging and it sometimes helps to have someone else in the medical field to confirm you're on the right track. :)
Zero

panick attack

Postby tonita » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:20 pm

Hi again,
I have posted to the professional board, it is very comforting to know there is a dr. here who understands. Well, I got my test results back today, everything is normal, even the fsh???? She wasn't certain about that one, I'll find out tomorrow.
I also found out that zoloft can make you lose your appetite, would be nice if someone let you know these things before giving you a script.
I'm glad I found this place :lol:
tonita
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Menopause