something else to chew over

There are many health concerns at this time in life and one of them involves our dental health, so I wanted to make a section just for these discussions.

something else to chew over

Postby colopam » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:35 pm

I was talking to a dental hygienist today about our search for a dentist in Tampa, besides a reassuring referral she said that along with the cavity prone years for children we women of "that certain age" have got to be diligent as we become more prone to cavities again as our hormones change. So everyone floss, brush, rinse, water pik and do everything that you can for those healthy teeth and gums (besides, any problems with them affect our overall health as well!)
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:16 pm

You're absolutely right, Pam....unfortunately, if you just start now, it's much too late. I've had to add periodontal disease to my growing list of middle-aged maladies. :( And smoking for over 40 years is a major culprit.

The American Academy of Periodontology warns that smoking may be one of the most significant risk factors in the development of periodontal disease ... http://www.perio.org/consumer/smoking.htm

You've all heard of "paying the piper", right? I'm beginning to think that's what midlife is all about.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:14 pm

I've been REALLY blessed, I was hit in the mouth by a swingset when I was about 2 1/2 yo, broke my jaw, my nose and my front teeth. didn't have my two front teeth for 6 yrs, but my mom had us at the dentist EVERY 6 mos, I DO floss, water pik, use my electric toothbrush etc. but have not had the insurance nor the funds for a couple of years, DH on the other hand grew up with well water (no flouride) and poor dental care so what dental funds we've had have gone for him, but with good dental insurance now I'm making an appt. soon! (still trying to get DH in for a physical!!! now THAT'S like pulling teeth!)LOL
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:55 am

Well, Pam....yesterday was D-Day for me. My dentist pulled the last 14 teeth and put my new dentures in. The emotional pain was worse than the physical part. I've tried to prepare myself for this but it's going to take awhile to come to terms with it.

It seems that I'm aging prematurely on all counts. I was post-menopausal at 40, had cataract surgery at 44 and now dentures at 58. Guess I'm the poster child for not taking care of yourself when you're younger!

I'm so glad that I work at home!! I can't imagine having to adjust to these things and learn to eat and even talk again out in the workplace! It also hurts the pocketbook when you have no insurance. :(

I'm going to gradually (because of cost) get implants so I won't have to be taking them out all the time, but that will take awhile since it's approx. $1500 per implant!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:12 pm

Keeping you in my prayers Dee! (and haing a cup of chai latte too!)
It's healthiest to try to keep your own teeth but when problems arise it's better to get rid of them. Any kind of tooth problem can affect your body, ie your kidneys, heart and other structures!!!! (besides the discomfort). We are at a lucky time tho in that there are options like implants etc.

I think I'm going to have to invest in a nightguard as I've been clenching my jaws at night (not grinding just clenching) and if I sleep with my mouth open all night (like putting my tongue between my teeth) it dries my mouth out (not good as far as any bactrial growth etc). We've gone thru some MAJOR changes at work in the past 3 weeks, only two of us originals left standing (integrity wins out again!!) and working 40 hrs. OT in the past two weeks is a BIG cause, BUT ironically there's less stress right now then when the "problem children" were there!!

Hope your doing well!!!
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Gigi40 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Wow, Dee! Sounds like you are going through a lot - teeth problems are a pain. Hope all works out well for you - definitely a good thing you can work from home (I'm jealous!).

Guess I'm lucky that I had to have braces when I was a teen. At the time, I thought it was a cruel form of dental torture, but it made me very devoted to flossing and brushing every single night. I honestly cannot sleep if my teeth feel slimy at all. Drive my hubby crazy, 'cuz I'm always after him to do the same, lol.

Gigi
Gigi40
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:15 pm

I've made it through 2 1/2 days with my new dentures.....hard to believe it's done, but it is so now I just have to get used to them. I have several months of adjusting to do, but at least the worst part is done.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:55 am

Dee I'm glad the worst part is over for you. I will be where you are too soon. I'm scared to death to just go ahead and get it done :shock: Be patient with yourself as you get adjusted to them.

Pam I got a nightguard a few years ago because of jaw clenching. Could not fall asleep with that thing in my mouth LOL Dentist recommended wearing it during the day around the house for a bit just to get used to it. It helped so if you get one don't get discouraged if at first you can't leave it in all night.
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:10 am

CathyW wrote:Dee I'm glad the worst part is over for you. I will be where you are too soon. I'm scared to death to just go ahead and get it done :shock: Be patient with yourself as you get adjusted to them.

Pam I got a nightguard a few years ago because of jaw clenching. Could not fall asleep with that thing in my mouth LOL Dentist recommended wearing it during the day around the house for a bit just to get used to it. It helped so if you get one don't get discouraged if at first you can't leave it in all night.

Cathy, if you have teeth that can be saved, do it now, don't wait. I would have much rather had partials that could have been attached to my teeth but I didn't have even one. They need at least two for a partial, so do everything you can to try to save at least two.... I'm going to pay to have 2 implants put in the bottom because the bottom denture is almost impossible to get comfortable. with no insurance to help, I've got to wait until I've got enough money saved (or coming in) to pay for it..... I think the two implants are going to cost another $3-4000 and then I will have to have a new bottom partial made....probably another $600-900.

I wish I would have been able to do more preventive care over the years, but I couldn't due to finanaces mostly. Still, if I had known I would end up with dentures....I would have been more diligent. It was very emotional when she pulled my last tooth. :(
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:44 am

I'm trying Dee!! I have been fighting periodontal disease for a few years now. Flossing and brushing constantly...going to dentist every 3 months for professional cleaning. I'm losing the battle though. I have already lost 6 teeth :( Its only a matter of time before others have to go but I will keep on fighting!
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Chuckles » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Oh, I want to jump in here too. Sometimes no matter what you do, it's a losing battle. I have always taken care of my teeth....regular cleanings, brushing and flossing. I will be going the dentures route too. It's just my top teeth though, not a thing wrong with my bottom teeth. And it's not my teeth, it's my gums. They have receded so badly, all my top teeth are a little loose and some of the roots are showing. I have to make a conscious effort to smile with my mouth closed and I hate that cause I used to have a nice smile. Two of my sisters are losing the battle too. Both parents had dentures. In our case, it is a heredity thing.

I agree, do what you can do to save your teeth. I've lost the battle. Next step for me is to quit being such a chicken shit and get in there and get this over with. I have 11 teeth left on top.

I can't wait to be able to smile real big again! :mrgreen:
This little trip has been a hoot!!!!
Chuckles
On Fire!

Postby CathyW » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:01 pm

Chuckles I agree. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do because heredity works against you. Everyone in my family (parents and brother) all had to get dentures in their 20's!!! So I guess compared to them still having my teeth at 46 is good LOL They all tell me once you get used to them you would never go back to your real teeth :shock: Wish I believed them!!
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:50 pm

Sorry Girls...didn't mean to make it sound like you weren't doing everything possible to take care of your teeth!! A lot of it absolutely is hereditary, unfortunately that wasn't the case with me. I just went so long without money or insurance to go the dentist, plus I didn't make it a priority when I did have some extra money, so now I'm paying the price.

Had my first visit with the dentist since Friday and she was able to adjust them so a couple of spots don't hurt so bad. What a relief! Plus they feel like they're in tighter.

I guess I have to quit being so vain, but I still can't get used to the idea of having false teeth! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby niftyfifty1 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:40 pm

We are all here for you Dee.
And you are not being vain. It isn't easy when changes come to us physically. in any area.
Implants shouldn't be so expensive. It is such a great technology. I imagine insurances don't even cover it either.
Keep us updated on how you are adjusting.
:D
niftyfifty1

Postby DayDreamer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:03 am

Hi Dee,

I really feel for for you. You do SO well trying to support all of us. You must have felt like giving up on this site many, many times. I am so glad you held on in there.

We are here for you too.

I have found it curious to read the replies here about losing the battle with our teeth. Like others on this thread, I have always looked after my teeth, and have been proud of not needing any dental work apart from a 'scale and polish' every 6 months. However, over this last twelve months I have noticed rapid changes.

1)My nearest and dearest pointed out my breath was smelling bad. Prompting me to brush and floss even more.
2) My teeth stained more rapidly even with the repeated brushings.
3) My gums have receeded at an accelerated rate this year (even though I try not to be too vigorous when brushing).
4) My teeth seem to be 'thinner' and less rigid.
5) I have started having multiple mouth (and tongue) ulcers, (this week).

I found the link to smoking very interesting....but feel a little cheated that these problems (may be a coincidence) and changes with my mouth, have all started since I GAVE UP smoking a year ago!

I'm just coming up to 4 years ago since my last period and have had more other health issues this year than ever before too, so perhaps its all tied up with our falling (protective) hormones.

I am also very scared about losing my teeth, even more so now. But I can see I'm in very good company about my fear.

Once again we have this forum to thank. It really helps to talk.

I hope your discomfort is easing Dee, and that you are feeling better.

Take care.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to MidLife Dental