The Change of Life Diet & Cookbook by Elaine Magee, MPH, R.D.
From Publishers Weekly
In personable prose, nutrition expert and prolific author Magee devotes one chapter to each of the seven most common menopausal symptoms—hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, decreased libido, moodiness, memory loss, weight gain, low bone density—offering practical advice and over 125 recipes for symptom relief sans hormone replacement therapy. Despite her predictable lifestyle tips (reduce the stress in your life; keep your bedroom cool to avoid night sweats), Magee offers clear, empirically supported explanations of why her ingredients and recipes alleviate each symptom. The recipes—arranged by symptom, not by food category—are refreshingly diverse, including salads, entrees, vegetarian options and desserts for most symptoms. And despite the book’s health consciousness, the recipes do not neglect flavor. Cinnamon Rolls with Soy Flour reduce hot flashes, and Smoked Salmon Crostini with Caviar increase libido, Magee claims. Although Magee’s health advice for menopausal women is fairly standard, this volume succeeds in integrating scientific proof and practical symptom relief with a medley of simple recipes for an overall sympathetic guide for the HRT-free menopausal woman. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
Makes 6 servings --Serving size about 1 1/2 cups
1 10-ounce bag of pre-washed spinach leaves
2 cups strawberries, halved
1/3 cup bottled raspberry salad dressing
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup orange fruit to garnish perimeter of salad serving bowl, such as orange segments, peach slices or mango slices
1. Add spinach leaves and strawberries to a big salad bowl.
2. In a 2-cup measure, blend raspberry salad dressing, orange juice and poppy seeds together well.
3. Drizzle dressing mixture over the top of salad in bowl and gently toss to blend all ingredients. Sprinkle toasted almonds over the top. Garnish the perimeter of the salad bowl with orange fruit if desired.
See book for nutritional facts (per serving)
Hot Flash Mochaccino
Makes 1 drink--Serving size: about 2 cups
1/2 cup double-strength decaf coffee, chilled
3/4 cup chocolate soymilk
1 1/2 cups ice cubes
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (optional)
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup (optional)
1. Add coffee, chocolate soymilk, ice cubes, and flaxseeds (if desired) into the blender and blend until the mixture has a nice, smooth texture (like a milkshake).
2. Taste the drink. If you would like a stronger chocolate flavor, add a tablespoon of chocolate syrup. Blend the mixture, pour into a tall glass and enjoy!
Note: If you don't have a blender, just mix the first 2 ingredients (and chocolate syrup, if desired) together, stir in flaxseeds and then add ice.
Nutritional Facts (per serving without optional ingredients): 110 calories, 4 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fat (n/a g saturated fat, n/a g monounsaturated fat, n/a g polyunsaturated fat, n/a g omega-3 fatty acides, n/a g omega-6 fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiver, 61 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21 percent.
75 RE vitamin A, 0mg vitamin C, 90 IU vitamin D, 0 IU vitamin E, 2.3 mcg vitamin B 12, 18 mcg folate, 230 mg calcium, n/a mcg selenium